We had a train theme since Nathan is obsessed with trains. Anytime he sees one, he points to it and exclaims, "Train!" so I wanted to have lots of trains at his party.
I had a lot of fun baking and decorating his train cake. I think it turned out pretty well too! Nathan could tell it was a train :)
We kept decorations pretty simple. I found some Thomas the Train decorations at a party store and ended up getting some streamers and a Happy Birthday banner. Simple and cheap, but still festive.
I found this idea for favors on Pinterest, and I thought it was perfect. Originally, I had planned to decorate cookies as favors, but I thought that would be too stressful on top of everything else for the party and taking care of a new baby, so I went this route instead.
Nathan loves popcorn, so I knew we had to have some at his party. I found some cute popcorn containers to make it feel special for the party.
My favorite part of the party was how we served the food. I saw this on Pinterest too and fell in love with it. I knew Nathan would go nuts over the train, and it was an easy (and cheap) way to serve the food. Matt built the track for me out of painter's tape, and I glued mini oreos onto loaf pans to make the cars. Nathan shared his Thomas the Train engine and let us use it to decorate.
Since I wanted to make the party all about Nathan, we served all of his favorite foods: strawberries, grapes, cheese and crackers, and vanilla wafers with funfetti cake dip, along with the popcorn, cake, and a fruit punch recipe. When I was preparing the food for his party, I kept thinking about years down the road, when he comes home from college for his birthday and I make his favorite meal to celebrate. Planning birthday parties is one of my favorite perks of being a mom!

No comments:
Post a Comment