My precious Nathan,
Two years ago, when I held you
in my arms for the first time, I was given the most important job I've
ever had, a mom. Thank you for giving me that job. It has been the most
difficult and rewarding job I've ever had. The weight of the
responsibility can feel daunting at times: to love you, raise you, teach
you and protect you, but the joy and excitement you've brought to your
Daddy and I soar above the difficult moments. And this year in
particular, I have been so very proud to be your mom and watch the
little boy you've grown to be.
You have changed so much
since we celebrated your 1st birthday. We have seen your personality
begin to shine and watched in awe at the things you have learned. The
pace of your learning still astounds me, how your little brain can soak
up so many details so quickly. You have the sweetest temperament and a
typical first born personality.
You have loved to be
held and cuddled since you were tiny and are still my little snuggler.
Your Daddy's love language is physical touch, and you might be following
in his footsteps. You ask to be held multiple times per day and always
want to be near us. You especially love cuddling while you watch TV.
When I put you in your crib at night, you'll lie on your pillow and hold
my hand while we sing "Jesus Loves Me." You show love through touch as
well. You pat and hug Samuel all the time and are always the first to
initiate hugs with others. And let me tell you, Nathan, you are a great
hugger!
You are certainly outgoing and have never met a
stranger. You'll say hi and give high fives to anyone and even initiate
contact with others you have never met. You always have a smile on your
face, and it is infectious which might be why so many people want to
talk to you.
You are organized and like order. You
notice when things are out of place and say "uh oh" until they are where
they are supposed to be. You always put your cup on a coaster, and are
really great at picking up your toys when prompted. When you're playing,
you take your time in setting up your toys and getting them just the
way you want them before you start playing.
The Lord
has given you the most tender heart Nathan, and I can't wait to see you
He uses this gift in you as you grow. Whenever Samuel is upset, it
bothers you so much, and you do everything you can to soothe him. You
notice when others are upset, and your concern for them is evident on
your little face. You even notice when characters in your books or on TV
are upset and tell me about it. And oh, how you desire to help others.
You have been such a big help to me in caring for Samuel. No matter what
you are doing, you will stop and run get a paci or a burp cloth for
Samuel if I ask you to, and you always do it cheerfully. Any opportunity
you have to help, you jump on it, and I can see how much joy it brings
you to help others. Whether it's carrying in the mail for us, putting
something away, bringing us something we need, helping us push a
stroller or grocery cart, you very rarely turn down an opportunity to
help. You definitely share your Mommy's desire to help others.
But
you have so much of your Daddy in you too. I watch you as you sit and
diligently work on your train puzzles multiple times per day. I see your
problem solving skills in action as you figure out where to put the
pieces, and I wonder if you'll take after your daddy and be an engineer
someday. Whenever you're trying to figure out something new, you take
your time and work through the problem usually with little help from an
adult. You do get frustrated at times, but if I remind you to be
patient, you will settle down and keep working until you figure it out.
You
love to play outside and are fearless when it comes to playground
equipment. You swing in a big boy swing, climb ladders all by yourself
and never turn down an opportunity to slide no matter how big the slide
is. We go on walks almost every evening and you run and get right in
your stroller whenever we tell you it's time to go. You are in love with
trains and cars and balls.
You are such a fun loving,
laid back little guy. The littlest things bring you such joy, and you
never stop smiling. You run through the house screaming, "Daddy home"
whenever Daddy gets home from work. You dance and laugh and smile all
the time. Your joy and laughter is contagious.
So far,
you have been very obedient and compliant. We do discipline you at
times, but a quick timeout in your crib is usually all you need to
realize you need to change your behavior, and usually that's only
necessary if you're over tired. I think it's a combination of your
tenderness, and desire to help and please others, that has made
disciplining you a pretty easy task, for now at least. You do know how
to test limits and boundaries, but once you figure out you can't get
away with it, you give up pretty quickly.
Before I
became a mother I never realized how much joy I would receive in just
sitting back and watching you develop into the person God intended you
to be and seeing the character traits he has given you mature. It's by
far one of the greatest things about being your mom. Thank you for being
you, Nathan. I can't wait to see how you continue to grow and mature in
this coming year.
Sunday, May 5, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment