Monday, March 2, 2009

Birthday Celebration Continued

This past weekend, Matt and I went on a mini vacation that was only 15 miles away. Since I got my birthday off from work, we both took last Friday off to spend the day together. We stayed at a cute Bed and Breakfast Thursday night and spent Friday touring the Philbrook and doing a little shopping. It was nice to escape reality for a little while and to enjoy a three day weekend. Thursday night we checked in and then went and ate at PF Changes in Utica Square. It was a fun treat going to a nice restaurant on a weeknight. We enjoyed breakfast Friday morning, and then headed to the Philbrook.
On the balcony of the Bed and Breakfast, enjoying the view of downtown

Our Room




The sun room at the B and B

We both had a good time at the Philbrook. It was neat to see once. The house was beautiful with hand carved wood and hand painted ceilings. They had a traveling exhibit of Masterpieces of Photography. I think that was our favorite part. They had photos of famous people, places, and war. It seemed more of a history exhibit than an art one which is probably why we both liked it so much. The gardens were beautiful. I can't imagine how they look in the Spring and Summer when everything is green and blooming. Hopefully, we can make a trip back to see them then. I wish it wasn't so cold so we could have enjoyed the outdoor scenery more.




Part of the Gardens



The Philbrook Villa


After the museum, we went to lunch and did a little shopping at the mall. Matt got a new shirt for work and we got a new water filter for our fridge. After that we went to a couple of furniture stores. We've started saving for bedroom furniture, so we went browsing, mainly to get an idea of the cost, so we would know how much to plan for. We found a set we both really liked at Basset Home Furnishings. They have quality furniture, but you pay for the quality. Needless to say, we'll probably be saving for awhile. I was relieved to have found a set we both liked. We had looked at Mathis Brothers a couple of months ago and found absolutely nothing either one of us liked. I was afraid the search was going to be extra frustrating and stressful, but it was nice to know there is a set out there that we love! I think we both had a great time. It's really nice to take a break and be stress free for a few days. I hope we can do it again soon.
The rest of our weekend was pretty low key. I had another of those grad school moments on Saturday. This time it wasn't a good one. We actually had to clean house on a Saturday. Although my evenings were crazy during school, every semester except one (I'm still trying to forget how awful that second Spring semester was), I had a block of time on Friday afternoons that I dedicated to cleaning/laundry/grocery shopping. I'm starting to miss those Friday afternoons because I really don't like cleaning house on Saturdays, but I did. Matt helped by dusting and vaccuuming. I hope to eventually get into a routine and clean a little each night, so I don't have to worry about it on the weekends. That's usually the last thing I want to do in the evening though, and I don't even think about it. We also had a chance to watch OSU beat Texas on Saturday which was a pleasant surprise. I will admit, that although I'm a loyal OSU football fan, I'm a fair weather basketball fan. Matt had to convince me to watch the game on Saturday. I just get depressed remembering back my freshman and sophomore years of college at how good we were compared to now. It was a good game though, and our new coach is a big improvement over Sean Sutton. Hopefully we'll make it to the tournament. We also gave Rhapsody and bath and trimmed her nails. She did a lot better this time, probably because Matt was bribing her with his left over chicken from dinner after I finished each paw. Whatever works though.

No comments: