Friday, August 26, 2011

A Week of Firsts

Nathan had a big week this last week. It was a tough one, for mom that is. Nathan just sailed right through all the changes. He's a champ and such an easy going little guy. He definitely gets that from his daddy.

On Sunday, Nathan spend his first Sunday in the church nursery. Matt and I had decided a few weeks ago that it was time to put him in the nursery, but we were out of town for two Sundays and then had his baby dedication so last Sunday was our first chance to try it out. He is becoming much more alert and interactive and not sleeping all the time. We knew that he would have a better time being held and played with in the nursery than tagging along with distracted parents who were trying to keep him quiet. He's also old enough and on a pretty good schedule that I know when he is going to be hungry, and he has consistently been going at least three hours between feedings, so I felt confident knowing he wouldn't be starving in the nursery (one of the many irrational fears of a new mom). The nursery workers were super sweet. I knew Nathan had made a friend when the worker asked if he liked to be rocked asleep. Oh, he was in heaven :). They also were very reassuring that they would call us if he started crying and they couldn't soothe him. Words this nervous mommy needed to hear. I was a nervous wreck on the way and through most of church. Matt was a great encouragement in assuring me we were doing the right thing. One benefit of nursing is that I got a chance to spend a little time with him after Sunday school to feed him. I was able to work his schedule so that he ate at the beginning of church. Usually, his schedule worked out that he needed to eat near the end of the service, which meant I always missed the sermon. In the last four months, I had heard 2 sermons, and one was last Sunday. I had really missed our pastor's teaching, and it was nice to not be distracted by our little one during church. He did wonderfully in the nursery, and was happy both times we picked him up. I'm glad the first time is over. I know it will get much easier. Matt teased us that by the time we have our third kid, we'll be dropping them off the first week.
First day in nursery. I wanted to get some better pictures, but we were in a mad dash to make it out the door on time.

Then on Thursday, we had another big first, Nathan's first day of preschool/mother's day out. I felt like Sunday was a good warm up for this big day, and I had been preparing myself all week for this milestone. Nathan will attend this preschool two days a week. I'm hoping it will give me a chance to have a day to work for Youth Services, and a day to have to myself to get errands run, chores done etc, without constant interruptions (even if those interruptions come from a very sweet little boy)
Matt and I went on Wednesday to the open house to meet his teachers. They were really nice and are both grandmothers so I know he is in good hands. They also have a maximum of a 1 to 3 ratio of workers to babies, which I was really excited about.
Thursday didn't come without a few tears, on my part. Nathan was super happy when I dropped him off. I held it together while I dropped him off, even when I was taking him out of the car seat and he looked at me with those big blue eyes. I kept thinking that he had no idea what was happening that day. Once I got in my car to go home, a few tears came. I can't believe he is big enough to spend the day with someone other than his mommy. I composed myself quickly though and had a good rest of the day. On my way home I stopped and ran a few errands (tag agency, bank, pharmacy). Quick errands are much easier without having to take Nathan out of the car and lug his car seat into each place. I made it home straightened the house, did a few things on the computer, and then met a friend for lunch. Afterward I came home and cleaned and mopped the kitchen. I had a few rough moments when I walked into his room a couple of times and he wasn't there. He's always either in his room or with me, so it was an odd feeling when he wasn't there. Nathan is enrolled in extended care on Thursdays, so he stays until 4:00 on that day. I was anxious though and left the house about 3:30 to get him. I picked him up and his teacher said he did great. I wasn't surprised. He is a really good baby.
Another thing that is really nice about this preschool is that they have web cameras in each of the rooms. So, when those irrational fears popped in my head (he is screaming his head off), I could log on and check in on him and see that he was happily snoozing in his bouncy seat. It made the day a lot easier on me.

I'm glad this week is behind us. I'm excited that Nathan will get a chance to socialize with other adults/babies, and I'm looking forward to a little adult time of my own.

No comments: