Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Day in the Life- Wednesday

We are having a fun summer. I thought I'd document a typical Summer Wednesday.

The boys woke up around 6:30. They were both in our room. Samuel has actually been sleeping much better, and it was a little unusual that Matt had to go get him at 4:00 and bring him downstairs. Nathan gets up in the middle of the night every night and comes into our room. We set up a little pallet on our floor, and he lies down and goes right back to sleep, so it's not a big disruption for us. He's been having a lot of trouble going to bed and sleeping at night (I think we're over the worst of it now) but that's another post for another time. Anyway, they woke each other up at 6:30, and played on our bed until 7:00 or so when I got up. I turned on a show for them while I got dressed and ready for the day. Samuel pointed to the TV and said, "Woof, woof," so I turned on Clifford for them :).
7:30- breakfast. We all had yogurt with strawberries, grapes, and bananas for breakfast. Samuel insists on feeding himself yogurt now. It's messy, but not worth fighting him over it.
8:00- I cleaned up the kitchen after breakfast and straightened the house a little while the boys hung out with me downstairs. Samuel wanted to help me clean
8:30- We headed upstairs to play and get dressed. Nathan and I played Memory and then they built me a house with their tools. They also played kitchen.
9:15- I dressed them and they brushed teeth, washed faces, and combed hair. Samuel would brush his teeth all day long.
9:45- We left our house and ran to Hobby Lobby to pick up a basket for Elisabeth's room. Hobby Lobby is right on the way to the library, so it was a quick stop on the way to storytime.

10:15- We made it to the library, got our sticker for the summer reading program, and checked out a few books before Storytime
10:30- Storytime. Samuel whined for bubbles during most of storytime. They do bubbles at the very end, but they are sitting on the table taunting him for the entire 30 minutes. Nathan learned about dragons and sang songs. Samuel wandered back and forth from sitting next to Nathan, coming to find me and sit in my lap, and trying to reach the bubbles at the front of the room.
11:00- We left the library, and headed to my mom's work to pick her up for lunch. Nathan wanted to eat at Chick Fil A. He devoured his entire lunch, and then the boys played for awhile in the play area, before taking a break for ice cream. (I left my phone in the car, so I didn't get any pictures at lunch).

12:45- We dropped my mom off at work and headed home for naps. Samuel fell asleep on the way home. He completely skipped his morning nap, no car nap or anything, so he was exhausted.

1:00- Naptime. Both boys slept, and I rested too. I can tell I'm in my third trimester because I'm back to napping or at least lying down everyday during naptime.

3:15- Both boys woke up. We read books from the library for a while and Nathan wanted to play downstairs with the toys in the toy box.
4:30- I started dinner. The time after naps until Matt gets home is usually my least favorite part of the day. It's just a weird transition time where the boys are bored, and usually getting hungry and missing Daddy, and I'm trying to entertain them and get dinner ready. I'm usually relieved when I hear the garage door open and know that Matt is home. I turned on a show for them to try and get some work on dinner done, but Samuel just latched onto my leg while I was cooking.
5:10- We managed to get dinner served, and ate as soon as Matt got home. We always eat early (between 5:15 and 5:30), but since we had plans to go to the pool after dinner, I made sure to have it ready as soon as Matt walked through the door.

5:30- The boys finished eating, and Matt washed the dishes while I changed them and got all our gear loaded in the stroller for an evening at the pool

6:00- My friend Shana joined us for pool time, and we loaded the boys in the stroller and headed to the pool. They played, and swam, and got dolphin rides, and jumped in the water for the next hour. We are really enjoying having access to a pool so close to our house.

7:00- Samuel started to get fussy, so we headed home. Shana stayed to visit until about 7:30, and since we got home a little later than usual, and the boys were acting tired, we skipped baths and I planned to just bathe them the next morning. Nathan picked a movie for a "night night show", and they snuggled in our bed to watch it and wind down for the night.
8:00- Samuel's bedtime. He drank his bottle downstairs, so I took him up to read books and brush teeth. He toddled in and out of Elisabeth's room (where the rocker is), to his room to get books and came toddling back. He's the sweetest thing at bedtime.
8:30- Nathan's bedtime. He brushed his teeth and we read two books together and prayed before bed. Part of our solution to his bedtime troubles is that he can sleep downstairs in the guest room. He calls it his room now. And since Matt and I aren't battling tantrums and fits until late into the night, like we were for a couple of weeks, we are totally fine with it.
8:45- Matt and I have gotten into the habit of watching a show on Netflix at night after the boys are in bed. We finished House of Cards last week, and recently started Friday Night Lights. We've also gotten in the habit of having this with our TV
We ended up watching two episodes last night, but I fell asleep halfway through the second episode. I look forward to that time with Matt every night when we can relax together. Taking care of our two ornery boys is hard work, especially in the evenings.

I love these summer days and the fun I get to have with all my boys!

No comments: