Sunday, April 14, 2013

One Month Old

My precious Samuel Jacob,

You have been in our lives for one whole month, and in that short amount of time, none of us could ever imagine our family without you in it. We are so thankful the Lord gave you to us, and you are the perfect addition to our family. I love calling us a family of four! You seem to have brought some balance to our family. I think your brother is glad he's not outnumbered anymore :).

Your first month has certainly had some crazy moments, but in the midst of all the chaos, there is such a joy since you've joined us. Getting out of the house to do anything may be an ordeal these days, and our dinner, bath, and bedtime routine may always be hectic, but none of us would have it any other way. You are the sweetest little baby, and I'll never get tired of your snuggles.
Speaking of snuggles, you love to be held. You tolerate being put down for a few minutes at a time, but you like to let us know when you've had enough and need some loving. We gave you a pacifier in the hospital and then had to take it away for a few days, because you were having some trouble nursing. We gave it back to you when you were a couple of weeks old. You like it when you want it, but a lot of times you don't really want anything to do with it. It does help you fall asleep during the day when you can keep it in your mouth.
You really like your swing. Your brother wasn't a big fan of it, but it is certainly getting some use with you. I put you in it for most of your daytime naps. It's the one place (besides my arms) where you seem to sleep soundly during the day.
You also enjoy swinging during your wake time too. You watch the mobile or look at the light as you swing. You really like lights! You can always spot them in a room and your little eyes focus right on them every time. I'll lay you on a blanket in the office and open the blinds and you'll stare at the sunlight.
We try and go for a walk almost everyday, and you seem to enjoy the fresh air and being outside. You'll usually snooze in your car seat while your brother plays at the playground. You've also been to Storytime at the library a couple of times. You slept through the whole thing :).
You are nursing  every 2.5 hours during the day for 10-15 minutes per side. We're supplementing with an ounce or two of breast milk or formula during most feedings too, to make sure you get your belly full.
You sleep wonderfully at night. You always have at least a five hour stretch between feedings, and a few nights you've even gone 6 or 7. You figured out your days and nights so quickly and basically all on your own. Since you were just a week or two old, you always saved your long stretch of sleep for during the night instead of the day. You also fall right asleep after your late evening feeding, sometimes even while you're eating, and you go right back to sleep when I feed you in the middle of the night. During your first week or two, you had a little trouble going back to sleep after some night feedings, and your daddy would hold you until you fell asleep, but you let him get off easy, because you sleep so good now! I swaddle you at night and you sleep in your Rock and Play in our roomn
You spend a lot of time in your sling. We're thankful we got one, because it has been really helpful especially since you like to be held so much. I'll put you in it and let you nap while I get things done around the house.
We are in the process of transitioning you to size 1 diapers from newborn. I just have a couple of newborn diapers left, but they are really getting too small. You've outgrown all your newborn sleepers too because you are so long. You can't straighten your legs while you're wearing them. You are mostly wearing newborn size onesies and pants, but they are getting snug, and each time I put you in one, I think it's the last time you'll get to wear it, and then I get sentimental and sad since you are wearing several outfits that your brother wore, and I have a hard time thinking it might be the last time it gets worn.

We took you in for a weight check on 4-17 and you weighed 10lbs, 3oz.
You nap after most of your feedings, but usually for only 20-30 minutes or so. You usually will take one long nap each day for about an hour, but you have a lot of wake time during the day, sometimes you'll stay awake for 2-3 hours at a time. Since you sleep so well at night, I'm not too worried about your lack of napping, although it does make it hard to get things done around the house sometimes. Dirty showers and kitchen floors just have to wait, when you want some cuddle time :).
You have started to coo a little. It's the most precious thing. I love hearing your little voice and watching you kick your legs and wave your arms while you're lying on the floor. I've even caught a few smiles. You smile while you're nursing occasionally, and I've caught a few others.
You are such a handsome little guy. You have dark eyes and a red tint in your hair.
Your big brother is enamored with you, and you tolerate all his hugs, and his not so gentle way of putting your pacifier in your mouth. I promise he means well :).
Samuel Jacob, whenever I look at you, I feel so incredibly blessed that the Lord gave  us you to love and raise. You are our precious little guy and we can't wait to watch you grow and learn.

No comments: