Monday, April 9, 2012

He is Risen!

We had a fantastic weekend celebrating Easter with our family and friends. As a believer, it is such a special time of year to reflect and praise the Lord for his goodness and grace that our Savior has saved us from our sin and conquered death.

Matt's parents came up for the weekend to celebrate with us. We all went over to Mom and Barry's on Saturday evening for dinner. Nathan got to play with his Easter basket from them. Instead of an Easter basket, Nathan got a dump truck filled with fun eggs. The dump truck converts to a little car he can ride. He loved it. He can get on and off it all by himself and loves to ride it!
I tried to focus this weekend on the reason we celebrate Easter and not get too worked up in the plans we had made to celebrate. I prayed that I wouldn't get anxious or upset if plans didn't work out perfectly (because with a little one, things rarely work out the way they are supposed to). It didn't matter if Nathan spit up on his adorable Easter outfit, or if he didn't sleep well the night before and was grouchy that morning, or if he missed his morning nap and slept through Easter lunch, or if we got the perfect family Easter photo. What mattered that day was that we worshiped our Savior and reflected on Him throughout the day.

The Lord reminded me though that He is good in all things and is present even in the littlest details of our lives. He blessed us with a perfect day. Nathan slept great that night and was in a great mood Sunday morning. We got adorable photos. He played great at church and fell asleep on the way home and napped at home right up until we were ready to eat lunch. I couldn't have asked for anything to work out better.
All I think about when I look at this picture is how blessed I am. Seriously blessed.
Five years ago, Matt and I started the tradition of hosting Easter lunch at our home. I took a break last year and let my mom host since I was 40 weeks pregnant at the time, but I always look forward to the holiday. I remember the first year we hosted in our little duplex in Stillwater, I thought to myself that someday we'd have little ones to celebrate with. How fun it was to have our sweet baby with us this year to celebrate! I'm looking forward to teaching Him all about the meaning of Easter in the years to come.

We attended our church's early worship service Sunday morning. It was a great time of worshiping with our church family and a powerful Easter message. Afterward we came home and finished preparations for Easter lunch.
We had ham, potato casserole, asparagus, fruit salad, deviled eggs, rolls, and a strawberry trifle for lunch.

Nathan enjoyed his first Easter lunch
We invited a new couple from church to join us for lunch. They just moved here from Iowa and we had a great time visiting with them. They built a house just about a mile from us, and we are so excited to have them join our Sunday school class.
We got Nathan a small Easter basket this year. He's still too little to understand, but I wanted to do something special for his first Easter.

No chocolate bunnies or candy for him this year, but he did enjoy some bunny graham snacks and bunny shaped marshmallows. Those are a rare treat for him.

It was a special weekend for our family. We had been praying for weeks that Matt would get to celebrate Easter with us. There was a good chance he would have had to be in China over Easter for a work project, but once again the Lord answered our prayers and allowed him to be home to celebrate with us. He did have to go into work Sunday afternoon for a few hours and was on the phone with coworkers in China most of Sunday morning but he was home and we were together and our Savior is alive and that is what matters!

No comments: