This weekend is the 10 year anniversary of Matt and my first date! It was such a special date that turned into many other special dates that have since turned into a proposal, a wedding, a marriage, a move, a mortgage, a dog, and a baby. I know neither of us were thinking that far in the future on that day, but it's so fun to look back now at that very special date!
Matt and I were friends in high school. We hung out with the same group of friends and he spent a lot of time over at my house during my junior year (his senior year) of high school, always with a large group of friends. As prom got closer, neither of us were dating anyone, and one of my friends mentioned to him that it would work out well for us to go together. He asked me a few weeks before prom. We both "liked" each other at the time, but mainly were just going as friends.
The day of prom, Matt picked me up that morning and we drove to OKC to spend the day together before prom that evening. I remember telling my mom that I was nervous about the car ride because I was afraid there would be awkward moments of silence, but that day none of that happened. We talked comfortably the whole way. When we got to the city, we spent a few hours at Celebration Station playing the arcade games. I think it was a perfect first date activity. Before we left, Matt wanted to play pool. I hadn't played before, and I think he strategically planned it that way, because as he was teaching me, he casually would put his arms around me and show me how to hit the ball. There are several moments from that day and night that stand out in my memory, and that was one of them. It was one of the first moments when I realized that maybe he did like me and was seeking more than just a friendship. After our time at Celebration Station we headed to lunch at Bricktown. We ate at Zio's and I really don't have any clue what we talked about during lunch, but I remember that I had a really good time with him. We drove back to Weatherford, and went our separate ways for a couple of hours so we could both change and get ready for our big night.
Matt came back over to my house that evening before prom, and when he saw me for the first time in my dress, he immediately said, "You look beautiful." By the look on his face I could tell he really meant it, and I felt so special (another of my favorite moments of the night). We took a ton of pictures together and with friends and family, and then headed off to prom.
Prom was so much fun. We had a big group of friends, both his and mine that we spent time with. We swayed during the slow songs. He reached over and held my hand throughout the night (gives me butterflies just thinking about it). All of those moments were firsts for me, since I hadn't really been in a relationship with anyone prior to prom. It really was a magical night for us. He was so sweet and kind and chivalrous. I thought he was the best guy in the entire world (still do!), and by the end of prom that night, we both knew this was no longer strictly a friendship.
The night didn't end there though. After prom ended, we went back to
each of our houses so we could change out of our formal wear and then
headed back to the ball room for the after prom festivities. They hired a
hypnotist for entertainment and we watched and laughed along with the
group of students who were hypnotized. For one of the activities, the
hypnotist told a girl who was hypnotized to go make out with her
boyfriend. As they were asking for the next set of volunteers, Matt
leaned over and said, "You should volunteer to go up there, so you can
make out with me like that." I though, whoa, that sweet, shy boy, just
said that to me. It was a funny moment and something I still tease him
about today. And by the way, there was no making out that night :)
As
the after prom activities ended, Matt and I both were not ready for the
night to end, and my very trusting mom (she did have a trustworthy
daughter), didn't give me a curfew, so instead of heading home, we went
for breakfast with a big group of our friends at a local diner at 3:00
in the morning. Afterwards, a few of us went back to Matt's house and
watched the movie Office Space. I dozed during the movie. We
finished it about 6:00 that next morning but Matt and I still weren't
ready to part ways, so instead of taking me home, one of his friends,
and he and I went to get some hot chocolate at a gas station at which I
got a concerned phone call from my mom asking where I was. The truth is I
hadn't even thought of her worrying. I guess I was having too much fun
(good, clean fun by the way). That phone conversation was another funny
memory too. She wasn't upset, just concerned. I reminded her that she
hadn't given me a curfew and she said she knew that but still thought I
would have been home before then. I told her where we were and that Matt
was going to bring me home to change for church. We changed and went to
church that morning and out to lunch with Matt's family. I think we
even went to Wal Mart afterward to pick up a few things. Finally about
1:00 Sunday afternoon we decided it was time for the date to come to an
end.
Even today, that first date is still one of the
best nights of my life. We started out as friends who had a little crush
on each other and ended up 27 hours later in a dating relationship that
has since evolved into a precious family.
Saturday, April 21, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment