Nathan has been doing great with his rice cereal for the last three weeks, so Matt and I decided it was time to start him on other solids. I had been reading about making baby food as a way to save money, and I decided to give it a try. One day last week when Nathan was at Mother's Day Out, I set to work.
I made sweet potatoes, apples, pears, and peas
I cooked the fruits and vegetables,
pureed them with some water to get the right consistency,
and froze them in ice cube trays (each cube is about an ounce of food)
I had a good time making Nathan's food. One of the ways I feel like I take care of my family is by preparing and serving good meals for them, so I enjoyed being able to prepare some food for Nathan for the first time. I also did save money. When I priced jarred baby food, it was about $.20 per oz. I made this batch of baby food for about $.08 per oz. The peas were even cheaper ($.05 per oz).
Last Sunday night we decided to let Nathan try peas for the first time. Here's what he thought:
We have tried a couple of more times since then, and I think they are growing on him a little. I have a feeling though that he will enjoy the sweet potatoes and the fruit more than peas.
I made most of Isabella's food, and I thought it was totally worth it! I had some friends spending $50 a week on food for their baby. That's crazy! it took a while for her to get the hang of things with the foods, but now she likes a variety of things!
2 comments:
I made most of Isabella's food, and I thought it was totally worth it! I had some friends spending $50 a week on food for their baby. That's crazy! it took a while for her to get the hang of things with the foods, but now she likes a variety of things!
I plan on making our own baby food too! I laughed out loud at his reaction to peas. How precious!
Post a Comment