Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What I Did This Summer

Thankfully, working in a school setting means extra free time in the summer. Unlike a teacher's schedule, I didn't have the summer off, but my work schedule was much more flexible, and I had a significant amount of down time at home during the week. Since I knew I would have extra free time and that Matt would be gone for most of the summer, I made a long list at the beginning of the summer of things I wanted to accomplish with my extra time. I was looking over my list today, and there are only one or two things left that haven't been checked off, so hopefully I can get those out of the way this week or next before school starts again.
I am most definitely a list maker and am much more productive when I can physically check something off (the goal oriented personality comes out). I had my one big list that was overwhelming when I first made it in June and then usually weekly I made a list of things I wanted to accomplish including things on my big list and then other chores and projects that came up during that particular week.

My work week this summer has varied but typically I worked about the same amount of hours each week. I usually had one day of the week where I was off and didn't have to go in to work. I also usually had one day that was a full work day (7-8 hours). The other 3 days I worked part time usually in the afternoons (2-4 hours). Since I frequently get asked what I do with my extra down time, here's a list of things that are crossed off on my summer to do list.

Wash windows

Wash blinds (worst. job. ever. I saved this for last. I was a wet, sweaty mess by the time I finished)

Clean out guest closets

Clean out bathroom cabinets/drawer

Wash base boards

Clean light fixtures (take them all down, soak and wash them)

Reorganize file cabinet in office

Reorganize/clean laundry room cabinets

Update photo albums (print out pictures from computer and put them in photo album)

Back up digital pictures on CD's

Clean refrigerator shelves/drawers

Reorganize recipe binder

Clean out bookshelves in office

Clean out desk/CD's in office

Clean out coffee table/end table cabinets

Deep clean shower

Have carpet stretched and steam cleaned

Clean out storage cabinet in office

This list combined with other weekly chores (cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, errands, appointments, etc.), kept me from getting too bored but still allowed me to enjoy a leisurely schedule. I'm really thankful that I have a job with a flexible summer schedule so I get a chance to get caught up on household chores and things that only need done once or twice a year. I know I would be overwhelmed if I had a 40 hour a week 12 months a year job and had to squeeze all these things in on evenings and weekends. It was fun to play the role of part-time stay at home wife too. I could get used to it. Matt told me not to though :)

No comments: