Monday, December 14, 2009

"Let Me Ask You One Thing"

Matt and I spent Saturday car shopping since our Toyota was totaled in my wreck on Tuesday. There are few things Matt and I hate more than car shopping. We’re just not cut out for it. We don’t want to get taken advantage of, but our personalities don’t really accommodate being assertive and pushy to make sure we get the best deal. When Matt was in Florida last week for work, he spent a lot of time in the evenings researching car models and what price we should expect to pay. Based on that research, we had narrowed our search to three models, a Ford Focus, a Mazda 3, and another Toyota Corolla. We visited the Ford dealership on Friday night, spent about two hours at the Mazda dealership Saturday morning and then headed over for a few minutes to the Toyota dealership. We spent a lot of time debating on whether to get a pre-owned Mazda or get a new Ford or Toyota . When we were talking with the Mazda salesperson and negotiating price on a pre-owned Mazda 3, I almost started counting how many times he said, “Let me ask you one thing” Like "Let me ask you one thing, is there a price that we could get you down to that would keep you from having to go to other dealerships", or “Let me ask you one thing, is there anything you didn’t like about the Mazda 3". I almost started laughing at the number of times he said it. And then his manager came over and used the same phrase several times. Don’t get me wrong, we were very pleased with the Mazda dealer. They were very knowledgeable and nice, but on a stressful day, we needed to find something to laugh about. After a full day of car shopping, negotiating, test driving, and a few pushy managers, we headed home again as a 2 car family.


So, are you wondering which car became the newest member of our family????











Yes, we are now a Ford family. They were offering huge rebates that we just couldn’t pass up, and we were able to get a brand new vehicle in our price range. You should have heard Matt yesterday when we were driving. He kept making comments like, “Oh, we’re about to break 50 miles.” We now have two Ford vehicles and they are the same color. We know we are boring, but we’re okay with boring, and that color the only color they had in stock that we both liked.

God used Saturday as another opportunity to remind us of our blessings. Our insurance company was incredible in that we already had the check in hand when we started looking and had the money in savings to offset the cost of buying a new car. And I’m still amazed at God’s protection when I was in my wreck, especially when I went to clean my stuff out of the Corolla.




I’m confident God’s angels were in control when the car hit me because had the slightest change occurred during the wreck, I could have been very seriously injured.


Hopefully our new Ford will be in our family for a long time, and we won't have to go car shopping again for several years!

No comments: