Wednesday, March 5, 2014

A Day in the Life


 I haven't written a day in the life post in a really long time (pre-Samuel), so I thought it was time. I know I'll enjoy looking back on this one day and remembering how we spent our time.

Tuesdays we usually go to Bible Study at church, but this Tuesday it was cancelled because of some winter weather we had gotten earlier in the week. This wasn't a typical Tuesday, but it was a fairly normal weekday around here.


Samuel woke up a little before 7:00 to start everyone's day. Nathan was in bed with me (He's been in the habit of waking up in the middle of the night and asking to sleep with us since we moved). Samuel woke him up. I gave Samuel his morning bottle, and after he drank it, I quickly got dressed and ready for the day while the boys played in the bathroom.

7:30am: Time for breakfast. Nathan has been eating frozen waffles for breakfast, but we were out of them, so I told him I would make pancakes. He usually eats waffles or pancakes or peanut butter toast or yogurt and cereal for breakfast. 
 Samuel had a banana with his pancakes.
 And Nathan had syrup with his :).

8:15am: After breakfast the boys and I headed upstairs to play. I'd been noticing in the craziness of our move and first trimester exhaustion how easy it was to not spend any quality time playing with them during a day even as a stay at home mom if I wasn't intentional about it. It's amazing how time can sort of slip away during the day, so it has become a part of our routine (when we don't have activities in the morning) to play upstairs together every morning between breakfast and Samuel's morning nap.

Nathan wanted to play train table
 And Samuel always heads straight for the kitchen when we're in the playroom. He is so cute when he plays, stirring, eating, filling cups with ice from the fridge.
 We also played "marching band" by Big Brother's request
 9:00: Samuel's nap. I changed him and put him down for his nap. Nathan asked to keep playing so we played in his room for another few minutes with his barn.

9:15: Nathan and I came downstairs. He usually plays independently or watches a show during Samuel's morning nap, so I can get some chores done. He did both this morning. While the boys were occupied, I cleaned up from breakfast, mopped the kitchen and cleaned the living room floor

10:00: Samuel's awake. I got him up, and we loaded up to head to Target. Because of the weather, the boys and I hadn't really left the house in two days, so I was more excited about a trip to Target than usual. Our Target trip was a little more stressful than usual. I had a bigger than normal list because of some big sales so we headed to a farther away Super Target instead of our closer, smaller one. Also, they didn't have any of the carts with extra seats for the kiddos. Nathan loves those carts, and was really disappointed he couldn't sit by Samuel while we shopped. I was disappointed too, because I needed several bulky items that quickly filled the cart, so Nathan had to walk beside me instead of riding for about half of the trip. He behaved well though, so we stopped by the food court for a "special treat" for him on our way out.

11:30: When I saw this on my receipt, I decided I needed a special treat too. Thank you Target for stackable sales, coupons, and the cartwheel app!
 So I stopped here on the way home :)


 12:00: Back home and time for lunch: I made the boys "lunchables" for lunch. Nathan eats them at my mom's and I make the poor man's homemade version at our house of turkey, cheddar cheese, crackers, and strawberries, and Samuel had a pouch of applesauce/sweet potatoes.

12:15: While they ate, I unloaded and unpacked our groceries.

12:45: Nathan requested to "play a little bit" before nap time, so we played with firetrucks and put out fires all around the house.


 1:15: Naptime! Best time of the day.

1:45: After an extra long search for Doggie before naptime, both boys were in their cribs. While they napped, I ate a taco salad for lunch, cleaned up the kitchen, worked on a few things in the office, and relaxed a little. The boys had a bit of a hard time falling asleep, but they both did end up napping.

3:15: Samuel's awake. He drank a bottle of milk and ate some goldfish in his high chair while I unloaded the dishwasher.

4:00: My mom called and asked if Matt had to work late (The last couple of weeks, he's had to put in a lot of overtime). He had told me at lunch not to plan on him for dinner that he would most likely be working, so my mom was checking to see if we wanted to hang out with her since we would be alone for the evening. We decided to run to Hobby Lobby.

4:15: I woke up Nathan, and put shoes and coats on the boys, while we waited for Grammy.

4:30: Headed to Hobby Lobby. I needed to pick up a few things for Samuel's birthday party next week, and my mom needed a couple things as well.

5:30: We decided to eat supper at Chick-fil-A. It's one of Nathan's favorites. Barry had joined us at Hobby Lobby and we ate dinner together too.
 6:00: Dinnertime followed by playtime and then ice cream!
 7:00: I had gotten a call from Matt a little after 6:00 that he was on his way home (earlier than we had thought), so we went home after dinner to play with Daddy for a few minutes before bedtime.

Tonight was a no bath night (We do baths every other day), so we had some extra time to play before bed.

7:15 Playtime fun! Nathan is hilarious these days. And our playroom floor is always covered in toys. That's how playrooms are supposed to be, right? :)

8:00: Bedtime for Samuel. We changed the boys into jammies and I fed Samuel his bedtime bottle and rocked him for a few minutes while Matt took Nathan downstairs and started his "Night, night show"


8:30: Bedtime for Nathan: Nathan's bedtime routine includes teeth brushing, reading two books with Mommy and prayers. Every night we thank God for something we were thankful for that day. That night Nathan was thankful for Chick-Fil-A.

8:45: Nathan is in bed

9:00: Matt and I are in bed :). We watched a little TV but were both asleep before 10:00.

No comments: