Thursday, March 6, 2014

Oh Nathan!

I just love having an almost 3 year old. Nathan is the sweetest, funniest little boy around. We have the best conversations all the time. Here are a few fun things he's done and said recently.


A few months ago, my mom transitioned him to sleeping in a twin bed when he stays at their house (he is still in a crib at our house). He had a couple of rough nights and fell out a few times, and he told my mom that he needed a fence for his bed like at mommy's house.

He's been doing this for almost a year, but I've never written about it. After he brushes his teeth at night, he takes a drink of water, swallows it, puts his cup down, and then bends his head over the sink and says the word "spit." He has never actually spit out anything. Sometimes he'll forget and will have to run back into the bathroom, climb on his stool, bend his head and say it. So cute!

He is already telling people the new baby is a girl. I tell him that God could give us a boy baby, and he'll say no, "I want the new baby to be a girl, like you, Mommy." I think he just really likes the color pink, but I am worried he could have a hard time if the baby is a boy.

For my birthday he told everyone he wanted to get me pants for a present. I have no idea where he came up with that. I never talk about my pants or wanting pants, but he got it in his head that that was what he wanted to get me. He and Matt went shopping for my birthday, and as soon as he got home, and ran in yelling, "We got you blue pants, Mommy, we got you blue pants. And we got you a birthday card." Don't count on him to keep secrets, ever. He asks me to wear my new blue pants all the time too. He wanted me to wear them to church. I told him I'd have to wear them after church.

We had a breakthrough with potty training about a month ago (A couple things were still holding him up, but all of the sudden those issues just clicked with him). He was at my mom's house and successfully did his business and he told my mom, "Mommy will be so proud of me!" On the way to church one morning, I had reminded him to tell his Sunday School teachers at church if he needed to potty, and he said, "Okay, and you'll be so proud of me."

And while we're on the potty subject, I have to remember this story. He has been wearing underwear during naptime for several weeks (and was waking up dry from naps for several weeks before that). He had his first accident while he was sleeping the other day, so when he woke up, I changed his sheet. He asked where his green sheet was, and I told him that I was washing it because he had pee peed while he slept and that I put his elephant sheet on his bed. The next day during nap time, he called for me, and when I checked on him, he said, "I peed in my bed. Put my green sheet back on." I confirmed with him that indeed he had peed on purpose so I would change his sheet back.

I can tell the therapist in me is rubbing off on him. I'll ask him what he learned at Bible study or what his favorite part of such and such is, and now he's started asking me questions all the time. "What was your favorite part of the park, Mommy?" "What was your Bible story about at church?" "What did you do while I took a nap?"

He's so cute with Samuel. If Samuel is fussy in car, he'll start talking to him. "It's okay, Guy. Don't cry. We're going to the zoo/park/church/wherever. We're almost there. It takes a long, long time. Don't cry, Guy."

We have gotten into the habit of having macaroni and cheese for supper on Sunday evenings, and Matt always cooks it. That's usually the only time we eat macaroni and cheese. Matt was working late most of last week, so for a simple supper one night, I made mac and cheese. Nathan gave me a confused look and asked, "Why you cooking mac and cheese, Mommy?" He has only seen Matt cook it and couldn't figure out why I was making it.

If clothes don't fit him anymore or I tell him that Samuel is wearing something that he wore when he was little, he'll ask, "When I get small, I wear that again?" Once he asked when he was going to get small and be in my tummy again. 

We've had several new babies in our group of friends lately. When I tell Nathan that we are going to visit a friend or friends are coming to our house to play, he asks if the friends can walk. It's his way to distinguish whether a baby is coming over or a friend his age. 


No comments: