Friday, June 11, 2010

High upon the mountain, he asked her for her hand

Five years ago today, my sweet husband got down on his knees and asked me to be his wife. That was such a special moment in our relationship, and thinking about that time brings back sweet memories.

During the year that we were engaged, Matt created a wedding website for us, and we shared our story of the proposal with all our family and friends. As I was thinking back on those memories in our life, I pulled up the stories we wrote about that moment from each of our perspectives and thought it would be fun to share them on our blog.

The Details:
On June 11, 2005, we drove from Weatherford to the Wichita Wildlife Refuge near Lawton to spend the day hiking. We ate lunch at the world famous Meers restaurant and set out for the top of Elk Mountain. It was a clear and slightly muggy day because it had rained the night before. Fortunately, the sky had cleared, and the rain had cooled the temperature to around 85º making it perfect weather for a hike. We followed the hiking trail at a leisurely pace to the top of the mountain enjoying the natural beauty and each other’s company. We stopped at a few overlooks along the way and took pictures and arrived at the top of Elk Mountain about an hour after we began. Once at the top of the mountain, Matt positioned the camera on a rock, and we posed for a picture. A few seconds later, he took my arms and turned me around to face him. Smiling brightly, he knelt down on his knees, affirmed his love, asked me to marry him, and held up a ring box. I immediately said yes and slipped the ring on my finger. After a few hugs and minutes spent absorbing the moment, Matt informed me that instead of taking a picture, he had actually set his digital camera to video the proposal so we could visually relive the moment and share it with family and friends.. We spent a few more minutes on the mountaintop calling family members and posing for pictures, before quickly descending the mountain to return to Weatherford to share the exciting news.
Matt's side of the story:
I was so excited that day. I had purchased the ring almost a month before in a large two family ordeal that I promptly vowed never to repeat as each person tried to influence me towards what ring they preferred. Since that day I had been patiently waiting for the perfect opportunity to give it to her, as her persistent questions about when, how, and what it looked like got harder and harder to dismiss. I had spent a long time thinking about how to propose to her and listened to several different people’s ideas. None of them struck me as a really special way to do it, but then I remembered the song she had picked out for our slideshow at the wedding. It has a line in it stating, “High upon the mountain, he asked her for her hand.” I knew it was the perfect way to ask, and the moment had finally come. The hike up the mountain had been pleasant, but kind of rushed. I knew Angela suspected she was going to receive the ring that day, but I was still going to try and surprise her with when. So once we reached the peak I immediately suggested we take a picture, hoping she wouldn’t expect it so soon. I set up the camera and nervously walked over to her. My heart was pounding in my chest as I posed for the picture next to her, waiting to ask the question I had had in mind for three years now. She was insistent on looking at the camera, and I finally had to take her by her shoulders and turn her towards me. She immediately knew what was occurring and started hopping up and down excitedly. She was so thrilled and gave me a very affirmative yes. We stood there kissing and holding each other for several minutes before she went back to admiring the ring. I remember her excitement on the way home as she encouraged me to drive faster because she couldn’t wait to show her mom. That evening she took me on a parade of homes as we went from one relative’s house to the next showing off her hand. I was so happy to be by her side and to know that we were finally going to be married


Angela's Side of the Story:
I do have to admit that the proposal was not a total surprise, although I know that was Matt’s intent. Matt and I had been planning our future together as a couple for about a year and a half before he actually proposed. We knew it was important to wait until after we graduated from college to get married, which made May of 2006 perfect for our wedding. Planning when we wanted to get married also revealed the timeframe of when we would potentially get engaged, and so I had known for several months that he would propose sometime during the summer of 2005. The excitement and suspense made it difficult to keep anything a secret. I kept pushing for hints on when and how it would happen, and Matt, being such a nice guy, always had a way of giving in. He wouldn’t reveal any details on how he would propose, but he hinted at what the ring looked like and when the proposal would happen. I eventually narrowed him down to a three week timespan of when the big day would take place. So when Matt mentioned wanting to go to the Witchita Wildlife Refuge during that timeframe, I had a strong feeling that he would propose that day. I couldn’t wait to get to the top of the mountain. Matt said I hurried up the mountain, and I probably did. All I was thinking was that, on the way down, I could potentially be wearing something new on my finger and holding hands with my fiancé. Once at the top of the mountain, he did surprise me by how quickly he proposed. As soon as we reached the top of the mountain, he asked if I wanted to take a picture. We were posing for the picture, and I never heard it take. Matt kept turning toward me and kissing me, but I wasn’t paying much attention because I was still waiting for the camera to take the picture. But when he took my shoulders and turned me around, I knew it was the moment I had been dreaming about for years. I saw him bend down, and he held my arms with his hands. It was difficult for me to contain the excitement I was feeling, and I loved the look on his face; I could tell by his nervous smile that he was as excited as I was. I couldn’t wait to say yes and wrap my arms around him. The ring was so gorgeous and sparkling in the sunlight. I knew a little about the ring from hints. I knew the store he bought it from, and I had looked at their engagement rings online, but it was so special to be able to see it and know that it was mine, and it represented the love I shared with the man of my dreams. The moment was absolutely perfect. Those first moments after we were engaged when Matt held me, and we reminisced on the proposal were amazing. I was reminded of how lucky I was to be officially engaged to the person God had created especially for me. We raced down the mountain in a hurry to tell everyone our news. It was so nice to officially be engaged and riding home next to my fiancé. During the ride home, sometimes I would glance down at my finger, and it would surprise me to see the ring sparkling on my finger. Telling everyone that night was so much fun. We shared the news with parents, all my grandparents, and lots of friends. It was a very special day that I know I’ll never forget.

Below is the video Matt took when he proposed. You can tell that I keep trying to look at the camera because I hadn't seen the picture take. I kept wondering why Matt wasn't still posing and why it was taking so long to take.


In case you couldn't tell in the video, I was a little excited that he was finally proposing :).

At the beginning of our wedding, we had a slide show of pictures of us growing up and of us together. The song we picked for the slide show was Bebo Norman's A Page is Turned. Matt was able to incorporate the video of the proposal at just the right moment in the slide show to match the line in the song that said, "High upon the mountain, he asked her for her hand." It was just perfect!

We've changed a lot in the past 5 years, and as much as I loved Matt at the moment he proposed, I love him so much more now. I think it's neat to think about the stages our relationship has gone through since we started dating over 8 years ago, and exciting to look ahead about the stages that are still to come.

No comments: