Monday, March 22, 2010

Why Can't Every Week Be Spring Break?

Last week was Tulsa Public Schools spring break, so my work week was flexible and I had some free time during the day. In total, I worked between 20-25 hours, and it was pure bliss. I had such a good week, and Matt did too, even though he was still working full time. I had the opportunity to get out of the house and work and feel productive but also had plenty of time to clean, do laundry (and even iron, which never happens), run errands and keep the house straightened all week without rushing or being stressed, which meant Matt didn't have to worry about helping me with any of that stuff and our evenings were free to do as we pleased. It was perfect. We were talking one night about how we had had such a good week, and I told him how much our quality of life would improve if I was just working part-time. He agreed that life would be better but still said I had to keep working full-time for now. So, since I'm not rushing out to talk to my boss about reducing my hours, I'll reminisce on my Spring Break week and how only working half-time made it so great.

Monday: I had to go in to Youth Services in the morning for a supervision meeting. After the meeting, I caught up on some paperwork and then headed out to meet for a family session. I ended up being done with all my work responsibilities by about 1:00 and went home. That afternoon Rhapsody and I went on an almost 3 mile walk/jog in the beautiful weather. It was such a nice walk, and Rhapsody loved it. After we got home, I set to work on tackling our bathroom. Since I knew I would have some extra time that week, I just focused on cleaning our bathroom on Monday and did a really thorough job. Matt had also done some caulking in our shower that weekend, so it looked really nice when it was all cleaned. I hate cleaning our shower and never feel like it looks clean even after I spend an hour on it, but with the caulking and the elbow grease I put into it, it actually looked pretty good when I finished. That evening, Matt and I were pretty lazy and just relaxed, watched TV, and played on the laptop after dinner.

Tuesday: I didn't have anything work related to do that morning so I slept in until Matt left for work. Then I worked out, ate breakfast, and spent the rest of the morning dusting, vacuuming, and straightening the house. I left a little before 12:00 to go to supervision and afterward headed to another family session and then back to Youth Services until 5:00 to do some intakes for some high school students. That evening after dinner, we were lazy again. We decided to postpone our date night for that week because Matt had several evening commitments the rest of the week and needed some down time.

Wednesday: I worked at Youth Services that morning meeting with a kid and then spending a few hours doing paperwork. I left Youth Services a little after 1:00, stopped by the grocery store to get some things for dinner and then went home for the day. That afternoon, I worked out and cleaned the kitchen and got ingredients prepared for dinner. That evening, two of our favorite couples came over for dinner and games. We grilled hamburgers for dinner, and they turned out delicious after Matt and the guys had to make an emergency run to Lowe's for more propane. The funny part is the weekend before when we planned the get together and were deciding what everyone would bring, I warned Matt in front of our friends about running out of propane. I guess he didn't listen very well. Besides that minor setback we had a great night. After dinner, we played Battle of the Sexes, and I laughed harder than I had in awhile at some of the guys' answers to the questions.

Thursday: I had a session with one of my clients scheduled for the afternoon, but that morning I met my friend Andrea at a walking trail just a couple of miles away from our houses. Rhapsody went too, of course. Rarely do I ever go on a walk without taking her. The walking trail we went to isn't ever very crowded, so Rhapsody got to run around without her leash. In total she probably walked twice as far as Andrea and I did because she kept running up ahead, then she'd stop and stare at us, run back to us and then head off again. She obeyed really well though, and I enjoyed getting to chat with a friend while I walked. Afterward, I came home started some laundry and cleaned up from the night before. That afternoon I met with a client and had a really great session. After dinner on Thursday, Matt went to a men's accountability group, and instead of sitting at home without him, I headed over to a friend's house whose husband was also attending the men's group. We spent the evening baking cookies and visiting.

Friday: I was able to schedule all my clients and other work at Youth Services, on Monday-Thursday, so besides a little paperwork that I could do from home, I had Friday off. That morning Rhapsody and I went on another walk with Andrea at the Reservoir. After we got home, I spent some time folding clothes and ironing some of Matt's shirts. A few weeks earlier I had heard from Matt that he stopped wearing several of his collared shirts because the collars had gotten folded weird and needed ironing. So, instead of just ironing the shirts, he stopped wearing them. I thought he just had 3 or 4, but when I told him I would iron them if he got them for me, he handed me more than 10 shirts. He has a whole new wardrobe now! While I folded laundry and ironed, I watched "The Time Traveler's Wife" from Netflix. I had read the book and wasn't too impressed but still wanted to watch the movie, and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie. Later that afternoon, I went on another walk/jog with my good friend Erica. The weather was so beautiful and I really enjoyed getting a chance to enjoy the weather and get in some quality time with my friends throughout the week. That evening when Matt got off work, we left town to go down to Texas for a wedding.

Even though I didn't do anything really exciting or adventurous over the break, I really enjoyed the balance between my work responsibilities and home responsibilities. I had the opportunity to catch up on some cleaning at home and the house always looked neat throughout the week which reduces my stress. I also got to spend a lot of time outside, enjoying the Spring weather, spent time with friends and quality time with Matt.

No comments: