Elisabeth has been reading the blog books and mentioned the other day that my "day in the life posts" were some of her favorites, and I kicked myself for not posting more of them over the last few years. I decided to choose a day and document it for her and the rest of us to look back on.
This is how we spent Tuesday, November 18, 2025
For the past year, I've been walking with a couple of friends early in the mornings. My alarm goes off at 5:40 to meet friends at 6:00.
Desiree wasn't able to join us this morning, so it was just me and Anne. We walk four miles around our neighborhood and chat the whole time. I always feel so energized and ready for the day when I get home, and quality time with friends is a great way to start the day.Katherine is my early riser and is usually always awake when I get home at 7:00. She usually watches a show while I get ready for the day. I've been saying I'm going to stop those for the past three years, and they're still going strong, ha!
Katherine asked me to play a game with her, so she set it up while I finished reading, and we played a quick game before the other kids woke up.
Elisabeth woke up around 8:00 and got busy with her school for the day. She started with her science lab report. They were growing bacteria and had to leave the container in my kitchen for weeks. Not my favorite science experiment.
Every morning I assign the kids chores for the day. On Tuesdays they always clean, dust and vacuum their rooms, and then each have another chore.
They also have a list of their school assignments for the day that they can mark off as they finish.
Katheirne eats breakfast (I made muffins the morning before that she ate with some milk), and then asked me to help her with her writing assignment for the day.
Nathan and Samuel both are late sleepers and didn't wake up until around 9:00. Nathan always checks his robotics group messages first thing every morning.
I left the older kids at home working on school and chores while I took Katherine to her dance class at 10:00.
I came home from dance to Elisbabeth making lunch.
While they ate lunch we did what we call "group" for the day. Each school day we all five get together, watch World Watch News, do Bible reading together, and I read aloud our history reading, and our read aloud book.
While I read, Elisabeth built with dominoes.
She made a cool time lapse video.
While they were playing, the boys were getting after their school. I caught a picture of Sam doing his typing exercises for the day. I think that's his favorite part of school.
Katherine had a hard afternoon and threw a huge fit over being upset at something. She begged to ride with me to drop off Nathan at his physics class and proceeded to fall asleep on the drive. Sweet Nathan reached back to help her calm down when she was upset.
Nathan has a physics class that meets on Tuesday afternoon from 4:00-5:30. I dropped him off at 4:00 and drove back home. Matt is able to usually pick him after class.
At 5:00 I started dinner.
Matt and Nathan arrived home at 6:00, and we all ate dinner together. Tuesdays are a rare night where we're all home for dinner, and I savor those nights!
Our after dinner routine is that the kids clean up the kitchen, while Matt and I walk around the block a few times.
Afterwards the kids showered and a few still had some school to finish up. Matt read some of the Vanderbeekers to Katherine.
Bella was in a playful mood too!
The older kids read too, and honestly, I'm not sure what else they do in their rooms at night. I know Nathan usually works on some of his co-op homework at night. We reached the age where they stay up later than Matt and I do. I usually try to be in bed between 9:00 and 10:00 and read or scroll on my phone before falling asleep.
These are certainly the good old days! And I'm savoring them! Being home with my babies all day everyday is the greatest blessing. I'll never take if for granted.



No comments:
Post a Comment