Thursday, December 19, 2024

December Happenings

Our December has been FULL! Robotics has sucked up a lot of our time, and we've still packed in so many other special activities. 

Matt and I recently began serving in our kids' ministry on Sunday mornings. I sure love getting to help in this Sweetie's class. 

Several weeks ago, Elisabeth said to me, "Mom, we have such a good life. I mean we have plenty of food. Sometimes we even throw it away if we don't like it. And I get to do any activity I want to do. I just know there are so many people who don't have a good life like we do, and I want to help out and serve them more." Goodness, I was so humbled to watch the Holy Spirit working in her life and prompting her to serve others. We reached out to Mrs. Ruthann and asked about Elisabeth helping at Arms around BA. She helps for a few hours every Wednesday. One week she and Ruthann set up a little Christmas "store" for parents to choose Christmas presents for their children. She even got to help some of them "shop." Her entire countenance changes when she is serving others. It's such a gift watching her grow and mature in her faith. 

We ended our first semester of co-op the first week in December. I survived my first semester teaching, and it was a great experience. Erica and I are already planning what we'd like to teach next year. 

We played Jeopardy in our government class to review all that we've learned in these fifteen weeks. 
We also visited a nursing home with our co-op and caroled, and the kids performed some of their own songs. 

These girls were excited to have matching hats. 
Katherine and Nathan performed O Come O Come Emmanuel. 


Elisabeth and Nathan performed Let it Snow


And Samuel played Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas on the piano. He has improved so much in the last year. Hearing him play is one of my favorite things. 



After our performances and caroling, the kids handed out gifts to the residents. 


Our church hosted a Christmas party one week, and Elisabeth and Katherine invited Kaydence and Keaton to join them at the party. Of course, it turned into a sleepover :)

We met back for dinner Sunday evening to return kids and also visited the Christmas Chute in Sapulpa. 























It was a fun, festive evening!

Co-op ended the first week of December, but the homeschool activities were in full swing the following week. 
On Wednesday we attended a Festival Bell Ringers performance at the Tulsa PAC with just a few of our friends :)


We grabbed lunch together afterward. 

Then the next day, Katherine and Elisabeth celebrated the Elementary Christmas party. They decorated cupcakes, played Bingo, played dodgeball and made a craft. Then they ate popcorn and watched  Mickey's Christmas Carol. 



I was talking with a friend about how much our kids used to look forward to their class parties at school, and then we talked about how rushed and terrible they actually were. We had like 30 minutes and tons of kids crammed in a little classroom trying to get one craft or game in and eat snacks. These homeschool parties blow them out of the water, ha! Our homeschool community is just the biggest blessing. And I got to sit and visit with other moms while my girls played their little hearts our. A great day!



The next day it was my boys' turn to party. I remember thinking that after co-op and robotics, our life would slow down in December, but it didn't, ha!

Elisabeth went to a movie with a friend during the party, but she still got a little friend time at the party before she left.  


We took a group picture before the craziness began. These kids are the best group of kids. Anne and I are co team leaders of the middle school group this year, and I was telling her after the party, that they make our job so easy. It's truly a joy to plan events for them. They're so polite, kind, friendly and respectful. Truly, it's a gift for my boys to have this friend group in their lives. 




We played a few silly games at the beginning of the party. 















Then the kids competed in an ugly sweater contest. 

They snacked and chatted for a bit.


Then we played Dirty Santa. Always a fun time!

Samuel was very excited about his gift. As soon as he opened it, he hid it under his chair, hoping his friends wouldn't remember it and steal it from him. It worked! He got to bring it home. 





Love these boys so much! They are the coolest to hang out with. 

We met the Millers and the Evetts in Edmond for our own little Christmas Party on Saturday. We had a gift exchange, and all the gifts were so thoughtful and fun. 









Elisabeth was pumped that she received a Camel Up game she'd been wanting from Elise. They know each other so well. The highlight of the day was the pig onesie Nathan gifted to Laura. She wore it all day!



We spent the day eating, playing games, and visiting. The kids played Minecraft and Ping Pong.

Before breaking for Christmas the girls performed some dances for the parents. They were excited to show off what they've been learning. Their dance class is the cutest. My girls look forward to going every week. 






















Elisabeth recently started dancing with Pointe shoes (but they broke right before her performance). I never thought she'd enjoy ballet, but she loves her teacher and her friends and is doing a great job!


Nathan, Elisabeth, and Katherine sang in our church's Christmas Celebration on Sunday morning. 






They sang beautifully. I was very proud of them. We've been studying hymns as part of a Christmas Bible study we've been doing, and so they've learned the history and meaning behind the verses in this hymn. It makes it even more meaningful for them. 





Whew! What a December, so far!

No comments: