Tuesday, August 10, 2021

August Fun

Our August mainly consisted of a beach trip,  a special girl's birthday celebration, and starting a new school year. We did end up having a few other things happen this month too.

One day at the beginning of August I got a terrible headache. I tried to manage with our normal activities, but I got really sick when we were leaving the kids' gymnastics class. I told the kids that I needed to lie down and asked them to entertain themselves and take care of Katherine for me. I could hear them from the kitchen making a lot of noise and then they knocked on the door and brought me lunch since they knew I wasn't feeling well. They made me a salad and strawberries and even brought me a treat. They are the best! I never want to forget their kindness and thoughtfulness on that day.

I took a good nap and woke up feeling much better and was able to eat the best lunch I've ever had. 

Katherine's gymnastics started back in August too. She was very, very excited about her first class. She's enrolled in the five and six year old class this year. Her coach last year recommended it even though she's young. I think she was a little nervous to be with the big kids, but she's doing a great job. She practices gymnastics all day long. 

Our August also included our first ever COVID quarantine. The kids were exposed at a church event, and after a lot of thought and discussion, we decided to quarantine. The worst part was we had to reschedule Elisabeth's birthday party, and she had to spend her birthday in quarantine. She cried a few tears, but we assured her that all her planned celebrations would happen just at a later date. 

We tried to make the most of the quarantine, and honestly, we didn't hate it. I told Matt that it's not a terrible thing to cancel all our plans and spend a whole weekend with our family. Because the Olympics were happening, I had the kids plan a Baugher Olympics for Saturday (to distract from the rescheduled birthday party). They planned all the events, made score cards and (edible) gold medals. 

They started the day with a shooting competition.


It was followed by archery, 



and a foot race. 





Then we went upstairs for a gymnastics competition. 










After naps, we socially distanced at the pool for a swimming competition.


Then we came home for a celebratory dinner of All American hamburgers and hot dogs and Olympic torch cheetos. 



We finished off the night with a movie night watching Cool Runnings. I'd say it was a successful first ever Baugher Olympics. 

The next morning, since we couldn't attend church, we hiked Turkey Mountain. The kids had fun, and we only had a couple of "my legs are tired" complaints from the littlest hiker. 




I wouldn't want to do it every week, but I could handle a quarantine weekend every once in a while (minus the stress of contacting all our party guests to reschedule a birthday party). 
 

No comments: