Friday, March 20, 2015

Samuel's Dinosaur Party, Part 1

We had a great time celebrating our Samuel's second birthday. I always look forward to planning birthday parties. I tell people that I'm making the most of it during these little years, when I have the most control over their parties. Someday they'll want Spiderman or Laser tag parties, and while that will be special for them, I don't think they'll let me do all the cutesy stuff that is so fun right now.

Samuel has been interested in dinosaurs for a few months. He really had a great time seeing them at the zoo last summer and always points out anything dinosaur when he sees it. I thought it would be a fun theme for his party, and I found lots of cute dinosaur party ideas.

I found these cute invitations at Walgreens and knew they would be perfect for his party.
For decorations, we cut out dinosaur footprints and taped them around the floor. 
My friend Erica made this adorable banner for Samuel's party. She did a way better job than I would have done on a banner.  It's still hanging up a week later. It's too cute to take down.
We set up a couple of kids' tables and decorated them with some dinosaurs Samuel had and some of his favorite dinosaur books.
My mom made the birthday boy and his big brother some adorable dinosaur shirts. I love her new embroidery machine!
She also found this huge wall hanging for really cheap on Amazon. Samuel loves it. He points out all the dinosaurs anytime he sees it.
For cake, I made a cupcake cake in the shape of a dinosaur. I thought it turned out really cute, especially for as easy as it was to assemble.
We also served fossil cookies. The boys had too much fun helping me stamp the cookie dough with the dinosaur footprint.
I saw an idea online for a dinosaur head carved out of watermelon. I thought it was adorable. We recruited Barry's brother Scott to carve it for us, and he did amazing. Samuel and Nathan thought it was the coolest thing. They were careful reaching in for the fruit that the dinosaur didn't bite them.



I made dinosaur dirt with gummy dinosaurs. It was a hit.

We also served chex mix and sausage balls at the party.


And lime green punch
I found some egg shaped sidewalk chalk for favors, so each Little One got some dinosaur eggs to take home with them.
Second birthdays are really fun, because Samuel was old enough to "get" it and he loved all the dinosaurs at his party. He is still talking about his dinosaur party.

No comments: