Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Big First




Nathan had another big milestone this weekend, although I think this one was bigger for his mommy than it was for him. He spent his first night at Grammy's house. Before he was born, I set a goal for myself to let him spend the night at my mom's house before the end of the year. I knew that our marriage needed to remain a priority even after adding children to our family, and one of the ways to do that was to be able to have time alone without Nathan from time to time. Plus, my mom had been asking when he could spend the night since he was just a few weeks old. With six weeks left in the year, I accomplished my goal.


Matt and I had been talking for a couple of weeks about spending a night away from him. I kept telling Matt that I just didn't see a reason to let him stay at my mom's. We didn't have any trips planned or any reason to need to be away from him. Matt kept telling me though that it would be good for me to go ahead and let him stay, and I knew he was right. I knew the first time would be the hardest and needed to get through that milestone. Since OSU had a Friday night game last night, we decided to watch the game at my parents' house and put Nathan to bed over there and then leave him for the night. The game ended up going much later than we expected (double overtime), and ended with a disappointing loss, and we didn't make it home until after 11:00. By the time I got to bed, it was after midnight, but I got 8 hours of mostly uninterrupted sleep, which was glorious. Nathan has been sleeping decently for the last month or so, but there are still times during the night when I have to get up to put his pacifier back in his mouth or soothe him, and for the last few days, for some reason he has been waking up at 5:00 ready to play. So to have a night where I knew I could sleep without interruptions was really nice, and I took advantage of it. We went out to breakfast Saturday morning and then picked him up around 10:00. In total we were away from him for about 11 hours, but it was a significant 11 hours. I'm glad I was able to relax and actually get some sleep, and I know the next overnight stay will be easier. My parents looked pretty tired this morning when we picked him up. I'm thankful they are so willing to watch him for us, and I really appreciate that my mom makes it as easy on me as possible. She has everything he needs at her house and even bought his cereal and fruit for breakfast. All I needed to make sure was in his diaper bag were pajamas and a change of clothes.

Overall, it was a successful night for all of us. I spent the night with my grandparents all the time when I was little and have special memories from those times, and I'm excited for Nathan to make those memories as well when he gets older. And weekend getaways alone with my husband every once in awhile sound really nice too.

And just for fun, here is a video of our little growler. 

No comments: