Thursday, January 20, 2011

Long Weekend Recap

I've started to realize that January is just not one of my favorite months. It seems that after all the excitement of the holidays, January comes and there is nothing going on, just a wide open, cold and boring month. However, the one thing I do look forward to in January is a long weekend. I remember in college always looking forward to Martin Luther King Jr. day. After an extended break and then hitting the ground running into a new semester of classes, this break came at the perfect time to ease into the stress and busyness of the new semester. Now that I'm working, I still enjoy the extra day off. This year the weekend surrounding Martin Luther King Jr. Day was a great one filled with fun things.

On Friday evening, I went out to dinner with several people from my department for a going away dinner for my boss who was leaving our agency. After dinner a few of us went next door to a coffee shop to visit and talk about some work stuff. I had a good time catching up with people from my department in a non work setting. I work with some great people who I actually enjoy hanging out with outside of work. I realize not everyone can say that about their coworkers. While I was gone, Matt was home with my grandparents who had come up for the weekend since my parents were moving to Broken Arrow. Everyone was exhausted, and we all crashed pretty much as soon as I got home.

Saturday morning, Matt and I went to breakfast with my grandparents and my parents. Afterward we came home and visited with my grandparents while my parents ran some errands. That afternoon we spent time at my parents' new house and looking at their new furniture. My grandparents headed home that afternoon and later that evening, Matt and I went over to our friends' Brandon and Mindy's apartment for dinner and games. We had a great time visiting with everyone (Matt and Erica came too), and playing Disney Scene it. Every time we play that game, it makes me want to go home and have a Disney movie marathon. There are so many great movies I haven't seen in so long.

Sunday after church, we came home and relaxed. I took a nap and Matt played on the computer. He also finished painting Nathan's room. Sunday evening, we went over to Jason and Andrea's to celebrate Jason's birthday. There were several other couple from our Sunday school class there, and we spent time just visiting. The guys congregated in the kitchen and talked about who knows what, while the girls gabbed in the living room. I got some cuddles in with Chloe too, which was great. After awhile, the guys joined us and we played a few rounds of catchphrase. We had a big group which made the game really fun.

Matt didn't get Monday off as a holiday, but since he was heading back to Florida on Tuesday, he decided to take the day off, so we could get in some quality time before he left. We spent most of the day on Monday registering. It was stressful at times since we're first time parents who are clueless on a lot of things, but it was fun to spend the day focused on anticipating Nathan being here. We also ordered his crib, which was a big stress relief. We had found a dresser and an end table for his room a couple of weeks ago, and the only big thing left for his room was a crib. Matt gave in and let me get the crib I've had my eye on for months even though it was a little more than he wanted to spend. I think he was tired of looking for baby furniture and thought the extra $50 was worth another 5 hours of crib shopping. We still need to find a bookcase and a rocker, but those aren't essential to have before he gets here, so we're not as worried about those. In between stores, we stopped for lunch at a pizza place I had heard about. They serve Chicago style deep dish pizza. It was delicious and the cheesiest pizza I've ever eaten. I didn't think there was such a thing as too much cheese on a pizza, but this pizza was pushing the edge. It was also huge. We got a large because we wanted leftovers and the price difference between a medium and a large was insignificant. I was still eating leftover pizza today, and my parents even came over on Monday night to help us with the leftovers.

After dinner, Matt and I headed off to childbirth classes (such a romantic way to spend our last night together before he left for Florida). We started classes last week. It's crazy to think that we're getting to the point of thinking about labor and delivery. I'm glad I still have a few more months to prepare.

I'm hoping the long weekend we had and the fun things we did will hold me over through the rest of January. I'm ready for February already.

No comments: