Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Disney World Day 4- Florida's First Ski Resort

Initially, we had planned to spend all day Tuesday at the Magic Kingdom. However, after our late night the evening before, we altered our plans and decided to visit Blizzard Beach on Tuesday morning. We knew we didn't need to spend an entire day at Magic Kingdom because we had seen so much of the park already, and we weren't keen on waking up before 7:00 that morning to make it to the park when it opened since we were out so late the night before. We hadn't planned to visit Blizzard Beach during our trip (Just the other water park, Typhoon Lagoon), but since we had some extra time and since it opened later meaning we got a little extra sleep, we decided to visit Florida's first ski resort.
The only problem with Florida's ski resort is that it had melted, leaving behind mountains of water slides including the tallest water slide in the United States (120 feet tall). We actually ended up liking this water park more than Typhoon Lagoon, so it's a good thing we were able to visit it. The whole theme was well executed and there were props and decorations everywhere that resembled a ski resort. It was definitely a fun atmosphere. We arrived just as the park opened and after storing our things in the locker headed off to enjoy some good old water park fun. It had been a couple years since Matt and I had visited a water park, and I was long overdue, so I was ready for some slides, flumes, lazy rivers, and wave pools. When we entered the park, Matt said that if I wanted to ride the tallest water slide (Summit Plummet), we probably needed to ride it first since the long was likely to get long if we waited until later to ride it. At that time I was still debating as to whether I wanted to ride it or not. Typically, I'm not a fan of tall steep slides at water parks. I had a bad experience on one that ended with giant amounts of water up my nose and had no fun at all. However, I really didn't want to miss the opportunity to say that I had ridden the tallest water slide in America. While I was making up my mind whether or not to ride it, we rode some of the other rides in the park. I did ride the Slush and Gusher which was a smaller version of the Summit Plummet with a few extra dips. I actually somewhat enjoyed that slide and it helped boost my courage :). We also rode a couple of flume rides and a toboggan slide that was probably our favorite. It was a racing slide, and we rode it twice. Matt won the first time and I won the second. That was our favorite water ride of the day. The slides were really fun. They were new to us, so the first time we rode them was always the most fun because we didn't know what to expect.

After riding a few slides, we made our way to the lazy river to relax and soak up some sun. Relaxing away in an inner tube to the gentle water currant with the love of my life just makes me happy especially when he gave me a foot massage through most of the time we were in the lazy river. It was nice to get off our feet and rest for a half an hour. By the time we got out of the lazy river, I had convinced myself that I was capable of riding the Summit Plummet, and we rode the chair lift up to the top of the mountain and got in line. It was about 2 hours after the park opened so the line was considerably longer and we had to wait about 25 minutes which wasn't good for my nerves. I kept second guessing myself and had butterflies in my stomach for about the last 15 minutes of the wait. I think Matt got a kick out of my anxiety. He was sweet though and kept saying "Angela, I know you can do it, but if you don't want to, that's okay." I will say that I did manage to sit down on that slide and push off and made it down the whole 120 feet in one piece. I did kept bumped around a lot, but I survived and was proud of what I had accomplished :). Matt still says that waiting in line and watching me go down the slide was one of the best moments of the trip for him. He says he thinks I'm cute by how nervous I get before we ride scary rides. I would show you the picture that Disney took of me on the slide for proof that I actually rode it, but they charge $14.95 for me to download it, so you'll just have to trust that I really did it.
Yup, I rode that!

We stopped by the wave pool for a few minutes to ride some waves and grabbed a snack before we called it a day at Blizzard Beach and headed back to the hotel to shower and change and get ready for the rest of the day.

We had reservations for an early dinner at The Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom so we made it to the park about 3:30. We took a couple of pictures, and walked around a bit, before we ate dinner. The Crystal Palace was a buffet, and the food was just okay for me especially considering the price. I wasn't quite desensitized to the cost of everything at Disney World at that point. The character dining was actually pretty fun though which made up for the not so great food. All the Winnie the Pooh characters stopped by our table to say hi while we were eating, so we had some fun photo opps. Matt was really excited to meet Eeyore and talked about it all through dinner.

One of my favorite pictures.
Where we ate dinner

We told the hostess that we were celebrating our anniversary, so they decorated our table before we were seated. They also gave us Happy Anniversary buttons that we wore at the parks for a couple of days. So many people told us Happy Anniversary when we were wearing them. It was really fun!


Matt made a point to try and eat ice cream everyday on our trip. He kept saying that he was on vacation, so he was allowed to eat ice cream everyday :)



I think this is Matt's favorite picture of our whole vacation

After our dinner, we wanted to catch some of the attractions we had missed the night before. We headed back to Tomorrowland to watch the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor show (which made me want to watch the movie again. Actually there's a lot of Disney movies I want to watch after visiting Disney World). Then, we went to Adventureland and explored the Swiss Family Tree House, rode the Pirates of the Caribbean (It was over hyped in my opinion), and rode the Jungle Cruise where we rode a boat along a river where there were lots of animatronic animals that we passed. Our tour guide on the boat was hilarious. She had a whole script that was probably about 10 minutes full of sarcasm and puns. We chuckled through the whole ride.

When we finished seeing everything in Adventureland we went over to the Toontown fair area. We stopped along the way and rode the tea cups at Fantasyland. The line was surprisingly short, and let me tell you, Matt knows how to spin those things. I couldn't walk straight when I got off, and before we boarded he asked that we not spin too fast because he was getting a headache. I'm not sure what it would have been like if he was feeling good when we rode it. That was another iconic attraction that I was excited to ride. We also walked through some of the attractions at the Toontown Fair area including Mickey and Minnie's houses and some gift shops. From there we rode the train back to Main Street and called it an early night. We were still recovering from the previous day and Matt was ready to head home a little after 8:00 to rest up for our next adventure.

Before the spinning started

Matt tried on this Goofy hat at one of the gift shops

On the train headed back to Main Street

No comments: