Saturday, December 27, 2025

Christmas Morning

 

These kids were very excited for Christmas morning when they went upstairs to bed on Christmas Eve. We banish them all upstairs with strict orders that they aren't allowed downstairs until we give them permission. 

The kids have always gotten up very early on Christmas morning, and although sometimes I complain about getting up so early, I really do love the excitement, anticipation, and magic of Christmas morning though a child's eyes. These years are flying by, and so I'm going to soak up the joy of children's laughter at 6:00am on Christmas morning.

I snapped a couple of pictures before we released the children.

This was our first Christmas with Bella, and she was very confused why everyone was awake so early. She barely moved all morning and slept throught all the activitiy. 
At 6:00am on the dot, we gave the go ahead, and everyone raced downstairs to their stockings. 

I usually follow the same method for stockings each year- socks, underwear, favorite candy, and a card game, puzzle or small gift. This year I also threw in some body care items.
Katherine was very excited with her joyride. 





The kids stuffed Matt's stocking with his favorite candy and also with everything that he can never find because they use it- tape, pens, lighters, etc. 

After stockings we started opening gifts. The girls bought us some  sweet thoughtful gifts. I was surprised with these earrings that I saw at the Christmas marketplace that Katherine bought for me. 
And Elisabeth bought me a silly candle that says, "Being your favorite child is a gift enough, but here's a candle."

Nathan also 3-D printed some thoughtful, cute gifts for us.

The Flamings always gift the kids books for Christmas and their birthdays. They introduced Katherine to one of her favorite series- Heidi Hecklebeck, and this year she received one of the spin-off series about Heidi's brother Henry. 


She was thrilled. 




















Elisabeth and I spotted this new Junior Detective game at Target randomly, and I had to grab it for Katherine. She had been playing her other Junior Detective game all the time in the last few weeks. 




I also saw this giant pillow at WalMart and knew that Katherine would love it, and it would look really cute on her bed. 

One of the gifts I was most excited about this Christmas was Elisabeth's big gift. She always asks for experience gifts, and this year we gifted her a trip to her national basketball tournament. We went back and forth on spending the money and the time for her to go since she's still pretty young and finally landed on giving it to her for Christmas. 

Just in the last week or so, she had been asking regularly if she could go with her team. 







Her reaction was perfect! I'm excited to experience with her in March.

The kids were all grateful for new books from their cousins. They've all been introduced to some great books over the years.

We really shocked Nathan with his big gift. We got him an iphone 14. He had no idea and expressed so much gratitude. He didn't ask for it, but I had noticed him complaining about the battery life and some of the features of his current hand me down phone. 

I love his reaction. 


I also gifted Katherine a book light since she's been borrowing mine every night. 


She asked for a Stanley water bottle too. 
Her big gift was also an experience gift- a shopping day for mom (she's been asking for one since Elisabeth received one last Christmas) and an ice cream date with dad. 
Samuel's last gift was a wood burning kit. He's my crafty one, and I knew he'd like it. 



Bella was unimpressed with our Christmas morning celebrations. 

After gifts were opened, I made our traditional breakfast of waffles and bacon. Everyone looks forward to it each year. 
Katherine made a Santa waffle.
After breakfast, Katherine asked to play her new game, so we helped her with that. We also tried out a couple of the card games the kids got in their stocking- I Know, You Don't and Duck and Cover
Samuel wanted to try out his wood burner. He's pretty talented. 
We played at home for a bit and then got ready and headed over to Barry's house for more celebrating. 

No comments: