Saturday, October 21, 2017

Our Hospital Stay

We had a special two days in the hospital loving on our girl and introducing her to family and friends- sweet, sweet memories.

We moved from Labor and Deliver to a Postpartum room around 10:00 pm Tuesday night. As with our other babies Katherine was held almost constantly that night. I think she might have slept in her bed for an hour or so, but for the most part Matt and I traded off holding her while the other one slept.

Wednesday we welcomed visitors and in between we rested, watched movies on the TV and cuddled our girl.


I stayed in bed most of the time during our hospital stay, so Daddy had diaper duty. He changed almost all of her diapers in the hospital (and there were a lot, ha!)
They didn't bathe Katherine until early morning on Wednesday, and I was so ready to dress her in her cute clothes! Her tiny head was too small for her little hat.


There was a time in my life when I thought I might not have a daughter and I'd be an all boy mom. I'm so thankful for these two girls and the opportunity to be a girl mom too :).

The boys had school on Wednesday, but Elisabeth came to visit her little sister.

I enjoyed our visitors on Wednesday! It's always fun to visit with friends and share our new baby


Samuel wanted to come visit his sister again, so he came up on Wednesday evening to hang out with us a little bit. He is the sweetest with Katherine, always wanting to hold her, sing to her and love on her. His smile shows it all. He is SO proud of her.

Wednesday night was similar to Tuesday night. I do think Katherine slept a couple of times in her bassinet, but for the most part she was held by one of us. Those nights in the hospital are so memorable to me. The exhaustion, the uncomfortable bed, the interruptions from nurses, the light switches we can never figure out, the quiet tv in the background for light and white noise (We watched American Ninja Warrior for most of the night, ha!), and the sweet smells, sounds, and cuddles from our newest Love. I dreaded and craved those dark hours- some of the absolute sweetest and exhausting times in my life.

Katherine was always a super eater. From the first time I fed her just after she was born until today, she has never refused to nurse or struggled with latching and eating. That's been a blessing and removed some of the stressful times in the hospital.

Thursday morning we started packing up and waited for Katherine and my doctors to discharge us. Thankfully, they both came early in the day and we were able to be home around noon. It was a busy morning with doctors visits, test results, discharge paperwork, packing, and getting our Angel ready to head home. We got her all dolled up for her first car ride!





Matt and I are so very thankful for our newest blessing. God has been SO very good to our family.
Our Tiny Peanut was ready to go!




My whole hospital stay was bittersweet. I had been looking forward to her birth and those sweet days in the hospital with a brand new baby for months, but at the same time I knew that once those moments happened, the season of life of having babies and postpartum hospital stays would be over. I tried to treasure each moment even more so than with my other babies. I was sad as we drove away from the hospital knowing that we (hopefully) won't be back there again (for a happy reason at least). Those hospital rooms contain some of the very best moments of my entire life.

No comments: