Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Big Brother Day!

We only have a couple of weeks left before our little Samuel is due to arrive, so Matt and I wanted to take some time and celebrate our first born with a Big Brother Day. Matt was off work for President's Day, so we celebrated then. I was so looking forward to spending the day with Nathan doing all his favorite things. We all had such a fun day together.

Daddy made chocolate chip pancakes as a special breakfast for Nathan. Of course Nathan wanted to help mix the batter.


He seemed pretty excited about his special breakfast.

After breakfast, we finished getting ready for the day and headed to the mall.
One of Nathan's very favorite places in Tulsa is the play place at the mall. We've gone several times, and he just loves it. He's become so independent over the last several months. I remember the first time we took him, he needed help doing everything. Now he plays all by himself and can climb on everything with no help. We stayed and played for close to an hour.

After the play place, we took some time to walk around the mall. Nathan likes the escalators and all the vehicles at a station at the other end of the mall. We usually only let him climb around on them, but since it was a special day, we actually let him pick one to ride. He chose the tractor. It was probably a waste of money, but he enjoyed it.
After we finished playing at the mall, we ran to Babies R Us. I wanted to let Nathan pick out a small stuffed animal to give to Samuel in the hospital. That kind of flopped though once he spotted the toy train station set up in the store. I picked out a couple of toys and asked him which toy he wanted to give Samuel, and he said, "No, no, choo choo." He ended up picking one quickly and then ran off to play with the trains. Hopefully he's pleased with what he picked :).

When we finished at Babies R Us, it was lunchtime, so we headed across town to eat at McDonalds. Nathan had his very first Happy Meal. He ate about half his apples, a few fries, and one or two chicken nuggets, and then he was ready to play. We might not be doing Happy Meals again for awhile. I don't think he ate enough to justify getting him his own meal, but it was a fun treat for him.


Once he finished his lunch, we let him play for a bit at the play place. He climbed up all the stairs but never managed to get to the slide. We were getting close to nap time, so he was getting frustrated easily. Daddy had to go rescue him at one point, because he didn't want to climb down the stairs.
We came home for his nap and a little bit of down time at home. Later that afternoon, we ran to the park. It was colder and windier than we expected, so we didn't stay too long. He still had time to slide and swing though.

We came home and ate dinner, and I gave Nathan an early bath. I had bought some bubble bath when we were at Babies R Us, and he loved it! He asked to take a bath in our big bath tub, and since it was his special day, he pretty much got whatever he wanted :). It was the first time he's been in our bath tub. I'm sure it won't be the last.

After his bath, we popped some popcorn and settled in to watch Finding Nemo to end his big day.
He was worn out from his busy day and he's working on getting a couple of teeth which have been bothering him. I think that made him extra tired too. He ended up falling asleep cuddling with me near the end of the movie. I certainly didn't mind the extra snuggle time.

We had a very special day celebrating the soon to be Big Brother!

No comments: