Monday, February 22, 2010

Quarter of a Century

My 25th birthday was on Friday, so we spent the weekend celebrating. My parents came up to celebrate with us. My work gives me my birthday off as a holiday. I can take it any time within a month of my birthday. Since my parents were planning to come up for the weekend anyway and my birthday was on a Friday this year, I decided to use my birthday holiday on my actual birthday. My mom and I used the extra day as an excuse to go shopping, and boy did we shop! We headed to the mall after breakfast on Friday and didn't get back home until almost 5. We found some really good deals, and my mom spoiled me a lot. Apparently she thought turning 25 was a big deal. Let's just say I need to go to WalMart and buy some more hangers before I can put all my new stuff away :)

That evening we reunited with the guys and headed out to dinner at Shogun in Tulsa, a hibachi restaurant. Matt and I hadn't been to a hibachi restaurant in Tulsa, and we were a little disappointed. We celebrated some of our past anniversaries at a great hibachi restaurant in OKC, and this one just didn't live up to our past experiences. It was still good though, and we enjoyed it.
Before dinner on Friday

Saturday, I started feeling a little under the weather, running a slight fever and being pretty congested, so we took it easy that day. We spent time watching the Olympics and OSU basketball during the day. That afternoon, Matt started working on baking my birthday cake. He's so sweet to want to bake a cake for me each year, and I really appreciate it. This year he made me a four layer cake. He alternated layers of yellow and chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. He also used cookie cutters and melted chocolate to make the numbers out of chocolate. I told him that I didn't really feel old until I found out that he had to buy two packages of candles on the cake :).

That evening I started to feel a little better, so we went ahead with our plans. Matt had asked a few friends from church over to eat cake and ice cream and play some board games. I had a lot of fun. We've been blessed to develop some great friendships since moving to Tulsa, and it was fun to celebrate with them. We had to break out multiple games of Settlers because we had too many people, so we had a little tournament. We played two games and played with different people each game. I was thankful that I was feeling pretty good and able to enjoy the time with our friends and my parents even if I ended up at the loser's table after the first game. It was a great birthday weekend.

No comments: