Monday, October 5, 2009

A Great Weekend

Friday, I took my national exam for my licensure in Marital and Family Therapy. I'm so glad it's over, except I have to wait several weeks for the results. Not to mention, I don't think my brain fully recovered until yesterday. I told Matt I hadn't had to think that hard for such a long amount of time since grad school.

In celebration of no more studying or stressing, we planned a fun weekend. Friday night after work, we went to dinner with our friends Matt and Erica to a restaurant called the Garlic Rose. It was the first time any of us had been there, and the food was pretty good. After dinner, we headed over to the River Walk for gelato. We had a really good time, and not to mention the gelato was delicious.

On Saturday, we went to the Tulsa State Fair for the morning. One of our favorite things about the fair (and perhaps the only reason we go) is that the Tulsa State Fair hosts the National Sugar Arts show each year which features the national wedding cake competition. I've seen the show in Tulsa featured on the Food Network before, and they have food network challenge competitors present to give demonstrations throughout the weekend. Those cakes are amazing. Everything on them is edible and who knows how many hundreds of hours are spent by the decorators on each cake. Matt keeps telling me I should enter a cake next year, so we don't have to stand in line to look at them. I think we need lots of classes and practice before then.
Matt took a ton of pictures of the cakes, and these are just a few of my favorites. The theme this year was of Sea and Shore.






This one was probably my favorite



Although this was was pretty creative

Okay, let me preface this next picture. If you've ever watched a Food Network Challenge show (the one where competitors have 8 hours to make cakes for different events, and the winner gets $10,000), then you probably know who Kerry Vincent is, aka the Simon Cowell of cake competitions. She's the judge in almost every competition, and Matt and I always watch them together. Well, my husband almost ran into her at the show, so I made him take a picture proving we saw her in person.
After spending a few hours at the fair and eating some ice cream of course, we went to lunch at a hamburger place and then headed home. Because I was studying for my test all last week, and Matt was helping by taking over some of my household chores, Rhapsody didn't get as much attention as usual. So, after the fair, we took her to the dog park to get some of her energy out. We also stopped by Pet Smart since she was almost out of food and saw a toy for her we couldn't resist. Matt and Erica have two dogs that are much bigger than Rhapsody. When Rhapsody was over there on Saturday, she got a hold of one of their toys that was longer than she was and carried it around in her mouth. It was hilarious, so I picked her up one while we were at Pet Smart. That dog will play with any toy.
Saturday night, we just relaxed and watched the Big 12 lose in football. It's hard to be too sad when OU loses, but we wish the Big 12 had had a better night. I made up for my hard studying on Sunday by taking a long nap and then headed to our new Wal Mart for groceries, since we were out of about everything. I asked Matt if he would be in charge of cooking dinner last week so I could concentrate on studying. He agreed and was resourceful enough to prepare meals without having to buy groceries. If you knew how much my husband detested grocery shopping, you'd understand that he would probably eat about anything that didn't require a trip to Wal-mart. He actually did a great job cooking though, and I was thankful to not have to worry about meal planning, shopping, or cooking for a week. We had a great study free weekend!

No comments: